Tuesday 22 April 2014

April Favourites ❤


With the weather finally warming up outside I have been seriously looking forward to tucking away all my darker blushes and lipsticks and busting out the fun colours for spring. As a result, I have been obsessing over corals lately and you will definitely see that reflected below.  A lot of these are products that I have never mentioned before, so keep reading to see all the products that I have been reaching for like crazy during April...

Foundation:

Bourgeois Gel Foundation in the shade #51
I ran out of this foundation a little while ago so I decided to pick up another one the other day, and I had forgetten how much I liked it. Since it is a gel formula it blends really easily and has a nice dewey finish to it. This might not be a good foundation if you have really oily skin, but for my dry skin I absolutely love it. The colour also matches me better than any other foundation that I own right now, so thats another reason that I have been reaching for this every day. I like that it has a nice smell to it, and has natural ingredients that are supposed to be good for the skin. The price point is also not bad considering it is better than some of the higher end foundations I have tried, and I believe it retails for  $27.00  This product can be a bit difficult to find in stores, but I eventually found it at one of the larger Shoppers Drug Marts near my house. I will definitely be repurchasing this foundation when I run out.


MAC Mineralized Skin finish Natural in "Light"
This is the first face powder that I have ever tried and since then I have tried ones from 5 or 6 different Sephora brands, but none of them come close to me. I love the way that this powder gives you good coverage, but does not look cakey at all. I even find that I can wear it on its own without foundation and it still does a good job of evening out my skin tone and covering small blemishes. This powder does not have a completely matte finish, but I think that makes it look a lot more natural. I do not have oily skin, so I cannot say whether or not it would prevent someone from looking oily throughout the day, but on me it is quite long lasting and I do not have to touch it up. I have one of these in three different shades because I love it so much and continue to use it all year round. I have repurchased these multiple times already and will continue to do so. These are $37.00 at MAC.
         

Bronzer:

Chanel Les Beiges in the shade "N30"
This is one bronzer that I have been absolutely loving for a while now. It is one of Chanel's setting powders, but I got it 2 shades darker than my skin tone, and I think it looks so incredibly natural. As you can see I have started to hit pan because I have been using this product like crazy, and although the price tag makes me cringe, I am going to have to buy another one when I run out because they are just too good. I have had this for over a year though, so it has lasted me quite a while, which is nice. The powder has the gorgeous light floral scent that is typical of Chanel products, and it makes the experience of using the powder so much more enjoyable. I really like it. I still really want to purchase one in my proper skin shade to try out as a setting powder, but right now it is definitely not a need, so I am going to have to practice some self-control. These powders retail for $57.50 at Department Stores.
          

Bourgeois Chocolate Bronzer
I got this about halfway through the month of April, and I have really been enjoying it so far. It is a bit darker than the Chanel one and has less neutral undertones so I think it will be really nice as I start to get a bit more tanned. The powder also seems to blend pretty easily and it looks as though you get quite a bit of product in the package, so that is a plus for sure. The only thing that I do not love about this product is the smell. I expected it to have a chocolatey sort of smell, but it has this weird perfume scent to it that I don't love. It is not a complete deal breaker, but it does make using the product a little less pleasant to me. This was around $24.00 at Shoppers Drug Mart.
          

Blushes:

MAC Springsheen
I have been using this blush like crazy this month because it is so gorgeous. It is the prettiest coral shade with really tiny shimmer in it and it just gives you a beautiful glow from within. In the picture it looks like it would be similar to NARS "Orgasm" but it is a lot more peach in person. It is seriously so pretty, you need to go right this second and swatch it in the store. This is the perfect blush for spring and summer and it goes perfectly with all my lip favourites this month. This retails for around $25.00 at the MAC store.


MAC Sunbasque
This is another blush that will be gorgeous going into summer. It is peach with more brown undertones,  and gives a pretty bronzed look to the skin. It also has very subtle shimmer that gives a glowy finish to the skin. It is my go to "no brainer" blush because it matches pretty much any lip or eye combo and is just so flattering. I think this would look even prettier with a tan, and I know I will be continuing to reach for it like crazy in the next few months.


MAC Stereo Rose
This was re-released recently in a collection and I was lucky enough to get the last one at the store. It is such a pretty blush because it is a mix of coral and peach and bronze that looks amazing both on its own and layered over the above two blushes. You can also apply it as sheer or opaque as you want and it has such a pretty sheen to it that you really do not need a highlighter with it. I really love this product and the package comes with so much product that I am pretty sure it will last me forever.  I believe this retails for $37.00 at MAC stores.


Clinique Cheek Pop in "Peach Pop"
When I saw this blush at Sephora I knew I had to have it in my life becaus common... look at it. It is stunning. I am all about oranges and corals for spring and summer because I think they compliment my skin tone better than pinks do, so this product was spot on for me. I love the flower embossment on the top, and I really want to go purchase more of these. They are so incredibly pigmented, and are so soft and smooth. They blend like a dream. They are also really unique in the way that they have a beautiful sheen to them. You need to go swatch them in the store to see what I mean, but when the swatch hits the light you can see that they almost shine. I think these were around $24.00, and I am definitely going to have to buy a backup because they are supposed to be limited edition.


Highlighters:

The Balm Mary-lou Manizer
This is a gorgous highlighter that I have been using a lot this month. It is a pretty vanilla shade and is extremely pigmented. As a result, you really need to use a very light hand with this product and blend like crazy or else you are going to look like a disco ball. I love using this on the inner corner of my eye and a tiny bit on my brow bone, because it looks so pretty when it catches the light. I got this product on Hautelook so it was on sale, but it is normally $24.00


Laura Mercier Highlight
This is another product that I picked up this month during the Sephora VIB Rouge Sale and have been really happy with. The highlight is a lot more subtle then The Balm one so you do not have to be as careful about where you place it. I put this in the inner corner of my eyes, on my brow bone, along my cheek bones, down my nose, and on my Cupid's bow. It is just a really great, easy highlighter that is perfect for every day. I think this was around $42.00 at Sephora.


Eye Products:

Stila Kitten
Since I have been wearing a lot brighter coral lips this month, I have not been doing too many crazy eye looks. I have really been loving this shimmery champaigne shadow on the lid with coral lips and cheeks, and I think this is a routine that I will be carrying in to summer as well. This shadow is so incredibly soft and pigmented and really does a good job of brightening up the eyes. I would definitely recommend this eyeshadow to those who want a quick and easy look for summer that is super pretty and natural. These retail for $23.00 at Sephora


Bare Minerals "Truth" Quad
I picked up this quad after MakeupbyTiffanyD talked about it in a video and have really been liking it. When I did decide to do an eyeshadow look this month it was generally this product that I reached for. The colours are so crazy pigmented, I couldn't believe it when I swatched them at the store. This makes them blend like a dream and as a result they are super easy to work with. I like that there is both a matte and shimmery brown crease colour so you can add depth with different tectures, and the highlight shade is really pretty. I think that these shadows are really great quality and I would definitely consider checking them out. The only thing that I do not love about this product is the packaging. It is that rubberized packaging, similar to the NARS one, that is impossible to keep clean. This obviously is not a deal breaker, but it does bother me a tiny bit sometimes.  Anyways I think this is a really great neutral quad and it retails for $40 at Sephora.


Lip Products:

YSL Rouge Volupte Shine #15
So this product was pretty much love at first swatch... we're going to pretend that's a thing. This lipstick caught my eye when I was looking at the selection of YSL lipsticks because it's coral, and the obsession is real right now. It is honestly the prettiest shade of coral that I have ever seen though, and it is surprisingly wearable.I have been wearing this lipstick non stop since I bought it and have absolutely fallen in love. Since it is the "shine" formula it is not as thick as the normal rouge volupte lipsticks, and applies a little more sheer. It still shows up pretty true to colour on your lips, and I think that it is good that it is more sheer because it makes it look more natural and suitable for daytime. I also like that they are moisturising and have a fruity scent to them. One last thing that I love about this lipstick is... lets be honest, the packaging. It is so pretty and expensive looking (because they are) and I just  feel so much more confident when I wear these lipsticks. Might have to pick up another one of these soon. These retail for $39.00 at Sephora.


Chanel Glossimer #165
I think this glossimer was a part of Chanel's spring collection last year, however it is a part of their permanent line. It is such a pretty coral lipgloss for spring and summer and I have been using it both layered and on its own non stop this month. I like that this lipgloss has no shimmer, because I am not a fan of glittery lipgloss, and it also does not have a scent. I also like that they are not sticky at all, yet are considerably long lasting.They feel really nice on your lips and I do not find them to be drying at all. I would say that they have a medium colour pay-off. They are not super opaque at all, yet they still give you a coral tint to your lips and have a nice shine to them. This is definitely my favourite line of lip glosses ever. They retail for $29.50 at Department Stores.


MAC "Pure Zen" Lipstick
This is my go to lipstick right now for days when I do want to do a little bit more with my eye makeup and I want a subtle lip to balance it off. It is more of a peachy nude, so it will not make you look dead, and I think it will be really pretty in the summer months as well. I have been wearing this on its own as well as with the other glosses listed all month, and have been loving how it looks. It is a creamsheen lipstick so it is going to have a creamier formula with good pigmentation. It also has a slightly glossy finish, which I like, because I find super matte lipsticks can be drying. Overall this is a really great nude for spring and summer and retails for $19.00 at MAC.


Maybelline Colour Elixir in Petal Plush
I picked up two of these glosses this month and were quite impressed with them. They are quite pigmented and although they are slightly shimmery, there are no chunks of glitter, and they do not appear sparkly on the lips. They are also not sticky at all, and the formula is quite creamy. The brush is a little unique, but I like the shape because it allows you to cover a greater surface of your lips. The only thing that I don't love about this product is the smell. They kind of have a weird plastic smell to them, but I would take that over a nasty cherry smell any day, so it is something I can live with. Overall these are great glosses from the drug-store and I believe they retailed for around $8.00


Rimmel London Kate Lipstick in the shade 101
I picked this lipstick up a while ago and it is the lipstick that I grab when I am in the mood for a pink lip. It is a wearable light pink that is really pretty for spring and summer, and I think this would be flattering on a lot of people. The formula of these lipsticks are really nice, and they go on quite creamy. They have a slight glossy finish and are not drying at all, so I really like the way they feel on my lips. I also think the packaging is super cute and it is what had drawn me to the display of lipsticks in the first place. The line is designed by Kate Moss, so I think her signature on the tube is really cute. These were on sale so I bought this one and one other, and I think they were $6.00 at the time. They are probably around $8.00 now, so not a bad price at all for a pretty good quality lipstick.


Nail Polish:

China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy

I have been reaching for this colour like crazy lately for my fingers and my toes because it is such a pretty neon coral colour. The only thing that I don't love about the formula of the Chine Glaze polishes is that they are very matte and chip really easily so you really do need a good top coat on top. I got this at Sally's Beauty Supply for around $8.00

Essie Muchi Muchi
This is the most perfect light pink shade. I find it makes my nails look so clean and fresh and is really pretty for spring. I have been painting and repainting my nails with this really often this month. This retails for around $10.00 at drug stores.

Essie In the Cab-ana
This is part of Essie's Resort Collection that just came out, and it is a really pretty aqua / teal shade. It is a perfect nail or toe colour and I know I will definitely be painting my nails with this more as we go into summer.

Hope you  enjoyed this post and got some useful suggestions for some gorgeous products to try as we go into the month of May. Leave me a comment below with some of your monthly favourites that I should try!

xoxo Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment