Friday 6 September 2013

Dior Bonne Etoile Eyeshadow Palette Review


When I first saw this palette online as part of Dior's fall collection I instantly fell in love. The colours were just so beautiful, and I thought that the brown and green shades would help to bring out my green eyes. I began to look up eye looks that other people had done with this palette, and the more I looked, the more I knew that I had to have it. I went into "The Bay" the next day, and much to my horror I was told that the palette was not going to be released for three more weeks. As you can imagine, this simply fuelled my obsession. As the days passed, it was all I could think about, and finally, three weeks later, it was mine! I practically skipped into the store to buy it, and to my relief it was actually there. I immediately told the woman behind the counter that I would buy it and then she talked me into buying 4 other things... Oops! What can I say, you could probably sell me air. Anyway, I went home and immediately started to test out the product.
1. Top right colour. 2. Top left colour
. 3. Middle colour. 4. Bottom right colour.
 5. Bottom left colour 

The colours swatched beautifully on my hand, and I couldn't wait to start creating beautiful fall eye looks. The next day, however, I did my make-up using the two top colours and middle colour in the palette, and it looked awful. Okay... it wasn't THAT bad, but it was way darker than I was used to wearing, and I didn't love how it looked. I immediately washed off my eye make-up and started again. I was still determined to use the palette, so this time I used the top right shimmery silver colour on my lid, and bottom right sea-foam green colour as a liner on my bottom lashes.
As discouraged as I was though, I refused to admit defeat. I lied awake that night trying to think of different ways I could use the palette that would make the darker shades more wearable. I decided the next morning I would try again, but this time using an eye shadow base in the hopes that it would help to brighten up the darker shades that I was having trouble with.

The eye shadow base that I used was MAC's paint pot in the colour Bare Study. I use this just about every day because it seems to have the ability to make every eye shadow more bright and pronounced. I thought that this might do the trick with the Dior palette as well.


Below you can see the two darkest shades in the Dior palette. The two inner swatches have Bare Study underneath them, and the two outer ones are the colours on their own.

I really think that having the base underneath made the colours a lot richer, and a little easier to wear. That morning when I did my make-up I used Bare Study as my base, and on top I used MAC's All That Glitters shadow as my all over lid colour. I then took the middle shade and used it lightly in the crease and outer corner, and followed that up with the top left green colour in the outer "v" of my lid. I finished off the look by putting the top right silvery colour in my inner tear duct area and to my relief was actually happy with the result. It was a look that was totally wearable and one I could see myself sporting in the fall.

Here is the finish product...

Leave me a comment below with your thoughts on this palette, and let me know what your favourite eye-shadows are for fall!

~Jess.



No comments:

Post a Comment