Friday 27 September 2013

Eye Shadow Palettes Worth Your Money

When I get ready in the morning there are a couple palettes that I constantly find myself reaching for. Some palettes can be a little pricey, but if you find one with colours that are very versatile then it is a good investment. They are good for travelling, and if you chose the right one then you are able to create a million different looks with a single palette. 

The first palette that I ever bought was the Natural Eye palette from the company Too Faced. This can be bought at Sephora and retails for $36.00. I was drawn to this palette because of the pretty sparkly pink shades and the different browns. The palette has 6 shimmery colours and 3 that are matte, and I find it is so easy to make wearable daytime looks with this palette. My favourite is using the middle color "silk teddy" all over the lid with the bottom right shade "cocoa puff" in the crease, and the top right color "sexspresso" in the outer "v". The shadows are really good quality and are very pigmented. You do not need a lot for the shadow to show up opaque. I think this product is definitely worth the money.



The next palette which I think is a palette that is worth the investment is the famous Urban Decay Naked Palette. They have two different versions of this palette, the Naked 1 and the Naked 2. I liked the naked 1 more because the colours are warmer toned, where as the naked 2 has more cooler toned colours. The colours in both are very similar though, so I would only purchase one or the other. This palette retails for $50.00 at Sephora. This palette really does speak for itself; the colours are absolutely gorgeous. When I first played around with this palette in the store I instantly fell in love and had to buy it because it is so perfect. The palette comes with twelve shades, one which is matte, and each one is truly more beautiful than the next. The colours are so pigmented, and seriously go on as smooth as butter. The palette is unique because it has such a large variety off colours. It has pretty shimmery neutral pink shades, golds and brown shades, purpley mauve colours, and even gunmetal blues. There really is a million different looks you can create with this one palette. On days where I want a subtle natural look I love "naked" in the crease, and "buck" in the outer "v". For a pretty shimmery eye I love "sin" all over the lid and "toasted" in the crease. I also wear "virgin" as a highlight in my inner corner pretty much every day. This palette also comes with an eye shadow brush and an eye primer, so that is definitely a plus. I cannot say enough good things about this palette. This product certainly owns up to its reputation. 

The Full Palette

Left Side of the Palette

Right Side of the Palette

The last palette that I think is a good one to purchase is the Lorac Pro palette. This one retails for $42.00 at Sephora. This one is nice because it comes with 16 colours, 8 are matte and 8 are shimmery. Like the Naked palette, this one also has a great variety of colours that allows you to create many different looks. The shadows in this palette are also very good quality and apply very opaque. I love using "champagne" all over the lid with "mauve" in the crease and "pewter" in the outer "v".  Another pretty combination is "gold" all over the lid with "garnet" in the crease. This palette truly is really beautiful and some of colours are so rich and unique. This palette also comes with an eye shadow primer, which is a nice bonus. I definitely get a lot of use out of this palette, and I think it is a good investment. (excuse the dirty packaging, it is impossible to get this palette clean, but hey, it is well used).


Overall, my advice to you when choosing a palette is to look at the colours logically. Some palettes have gorgeous aquas, greens, and bright pinks, but are you going to wear those colours on a daily basis, if ever? Probably not. I try to find a palette that has a few neutral pinks or light brown colours for all over the lid, and pretty taupes and darker browns for the crease. It is a plus if the palette comes with a white for a highlight, or a matte skin colour shade for a blending colour, but these aren't completely necessary. Look for a palette that you can see yourself reaching for every day because otherwise it isn't worth your money. If you do find a good versatile palette though, then you will find that it is one of the best investments you ever make. 

Let me know in the comments below what your favourite palette is. I am always looking for new products to try.

~Jess.





No comments:

Post a Comment