Saturday 7 September 2013

Nightly Skincare Routine

I am just about to get ready for bed, so I thought I would share with you my nightly skincare routine. My routine generally remains the same from night to night, unless I have a lot of time on my hands and feel like pampering myself... then it is a little longer.


When I am washing up for bed I always start with a cleanser to wash off my make up. The one I have been using lately is from the company Philosophy and is called Purity. I purchased this cleanser at Sephora, and am really happy with it. It is a "3 in 1 cleanser," so it is meant to act as a make up remover, facial cleanser, and toner. It is formulated for all skin types, so it does not break me out, and I find that it does remove my make up really well. It also does not burn my eyes, which is a big one for me because I find that somewhere during the 3 minutes it takes for me to wash my face I always end up accidentally opening my eyes and then have to spend the next ten minutes in excruciating pain trying to make me eyes stop hurting. In short, this stuff is great.

After removing my make up I always follow up with make up cleansing tissues. I find these are good for taking off any stubborn eye liner that doesn't want to come off, or make up that is around my hairline which tends to not get washed off as well since I'm scared to get my hair wet (yes I realize a headband would fix this problem but I never remember until it's too late). These cleansing tissues I got from Forever 21 and costed me $2.80. I stocked up and got 4 packages since the ones at Shoppers drug mart are at least $10. I was pretty impressed with my bargain hunting. These wipes smell really really good, and don't burn my eyes at all. They are also not tested on animals, which is a plus. My only complaint about these is that they could be a little more wet, BUT for less than $3.00 I will overlook this minor flaw. 


On those nights where I have more time on my hands, here I would add in the extra step of either exfoliating or using a mask to clear out my pores. I would not suggest doing both as it might irritate your skin. If I am exfoliating, I generally use Ocean Salt from the company Lush, and this is something that I do about once a week. I love this product because the ingredients are all natural, and I know I am not putting harmful chemicals on my face. This facial scrub contains lime, coconut, grapefruit, sea salt, and vodka, and as you can probably imagine smells AMAZING. It's like rubbing the beach all over your face. But seriously, it is really good at scraping away all your dead skin cells, and leaves your face soft and smooth. Since it does have sea salt in it, it can be a little abrasive so you need to be a little gentle, however, I have never experienced irritation from using this product. When my pot runs out I will definitely be buying another one of these. 
 

If I am using a face mask that night then I am using my Clear Improvements: active charcoal mask from the company Origins.  I purchased this mask at Sephora and I really think it does a good job at clearing my pores. I also think that this bottle will last me quite a while, since you don't need a large amount of product. I just put a thin layer all over my face, and wait about ten minutes for it to dry and feel a little more stiff. Then I wash it off. My only complaint with this product is that it is not the easiest thing to wash off, however I think that may be characteristic to a mask that is charcoal based. The end result is worth the minor struggle though because my face always feels super clean after. 

I always follow the scrub, mask, or even just the cleansing wipes up with a good moisturiser. I have two favourites that I go back and forth between and they are the Perfect World moisturiser by the company Origins, or the Greek Yoghurt :Advanced nourishing sleeping facial by the company Korres. Both of these products can be purchased from Sephora.  I started using the Origins moisturiser last winter when my skin drastically because uncontrollable dry. Honestly, it was horrible. No matter what cream I tried, how many humidifiers I put in my room, my face would not stop being really dry and flaking. Not cute. I decided I had a choice to make, I either hibernate all winter and leave my house only for school with a scarf wrapped around my face, or go talk to a professional who could help. So obviously I went to Sephora and not a dermatologist like most people, and you know what, it worked! The girl prescribed... ergh.. suggested the origins cream and after applying it non stop for about a week my face was back to normal. It was a Christmas miracle.  So, moral of the story is this moisturiser was life changing for me, and I will definitely continue to use it next winter. The cream has a nice smell to it, and I think that could be because the active ingredient in it is white tea. The product also has a nice consistency and was the perfect thickness. I am already on my second container. I will definitely continue to use this stuff day and night.. forever.

The second moisturiser that I have fallen in love with is the one by Korres. I don't have a big dramatic story to tell you behind this one, but I went into Sephora looking for a moisturising face mask and the girl suggested I tried this one. The fact that it was made with Greek yoghurt intrigued me, so I thought I would give it a try. I have been using this mask nightly for weeks, and I really like it alot. It does not have a strong smell, and goes on really smoothly. I also found that it melted into the skin rather quickly. The texture is similar to a regular moisturiser, however, the girl at Sephora told me that you need to wash it off in the morning. I am looking forward to trying this out in the winter because I think that it would be great for combating dry skin. This is definitely a product I would repurchase.

The last step of my routine, and to be honest one that I often forget to do, is the eye cream. The one I use is also by the company Origins is the GinZing Eye Cream. This product is applied under the eyes every night before bed, and is said to brighten and de-puff your under eye area. I am not really sure how accurate this is, but I am going to continue to use it (on the rare occasion that I actually remember) as a preventative measure against wrinkles.The consistency is really light, and the cream has a really fresh smell to it. If you are in the look out for a good under eye cream I definitely recommend giving this one a try. 

Leave me a comment below letting me know what products you love that I should try, and what items are a necessary part of your nightly skincare routine.

~Jess.

No comments:

Post a Comment