Wednesday 13 November 2013

Product Review: Sephora "Give Me More Lip" Set


I showed this Christmas set in my Haul post, but I wanted to give you guys more information about it to help you decide if it is something that you would want to purchase.  The set retails for around $70.00 at Sephora and comes with 16 products. It also comes with items from most of the major brands, so I was really looking forward to trying lip products from brands that I had never tried before. The set comes with 4 nude shades, 4 pink shades, 4 red shades, and 4 berry shades. I really like that it comes with such a variety because then you have lip products for any occasion and season. The one thing you need to consider though is what kind of person you are. I had to be honest and tell myself that during the day I probably would only every wear the nude and pink shades, and maybe a berry shade if it isn't too dark. I then had to decide if I thought it was worth buying a set where I knew I would only be able to wear half the shades on a regular basis, and the other half would be saved for nights where I am going out and can look a little more done up. I decided that I was okay with that, but someone else might not think that that is worth the money.

I was surprised when I opened the box when I got home and saw that the products were actually a decent size. A lot of the lipsticks seemed almost full size, and the lipglosses weren't bad either. I began to try each one on one by one, and out of all 16, there are probably only 4 that I felt looked horrible on me and were colours that I would never wear. The other ones I really liked, and could see myself wearing often. Below I will show what each product looks like on my lips, and give a review of what I think of that product. 

The Four Pink Shades:

1. Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick in the shade "Everlasting Love"
This is a very bright magenta colour that I probably wouldn't wear on its own, but it was really pretty when I placed a very tiny amount of this over the "Too Faced" lipstick that came in this set.  This product goes on really wet like a lipgloss, but dries very matte and opaque like a lipstick or lip liner. It is also extremely long lasting, and as a result is extremely difficult to get off. When I wore this over the "too faced" lipstick I had washed off my makeup and gone to bed, and when I woke up my lips were still stained pink. I had to scrub my lips pretty hard with a makeup wipe to get the product off. I kind of like that the product is so long lasting though, and I think it is cool that it dries as a  lipstick. The lip gloss does have a bit of a weird smell, but it didn't really bother me and I didn't seem to notice the smell once it was applied to my lips.I would consider buying another one of these lipsticks because it is a unique product. In the future though, I think I would purchase a colour that is more wearable and easy to apply on the go, such as a light pink or nude shade.



2. Smashbox Lip Enhancing Gloss in the shade "Pout"
This is a pretty babydoll pink colour that I can definitely see myself wearing often. I think it would be pretty over a pink or nude lipstick or liner, and is a colour that would go with a lot of different makeup looks. The gloss was a little sticky on my lips, but that isn't something that bothers me that much. The product also has a subtle sweet smell to it, which I liked. As I opened up each product to try them on I prayed that none of them were cherry scented because that is a smell that I cannot stand, however luckily none of them were. Overall, I like this gloss and think this is a gloss that I will be reaching for often. I think I would only purchase a full size gloss from this brand if there was a unique colour that I fell in love with, thought,  because I didn't find the formula to be anything special. I think my Chanel Glossimers are still my favourite.



3. Too Faced Lipstick in the shade "Marshmallow Bunny"
This is the prettiest pink shade that I will definitely be repurchasing once I run out of this lipstick. This is probably my favourite product out of the whole set. The colour is just so gorgeous and is a fun pink for night time, but also pretty for during the day. It has a sweet lemony smell to it, and goes on really creamy. This is the lipstick that I paired with the Kat Von D lipgloss and they looked so great together. I just found that it was a good way to amp the colour up a bit and make it fun for a girls night out. The colour goes on pretty opaque, however, it is an easy "on the go" lipstick that you don't need a mirror to apply. This is definitely a product that I am loving and I am going to be wearing really often, so I am glad that it was full sized.



4. Bare Minerals Lipstick in the shade "Never Say Never"
This was another item that looked to me to be full sized. It is a bright fuchsia colour that will probably be a lipstick that I only reach for if I am going out at night. It is very opaque, and it is definitely a colour that you need to apply with precision in front of a mirror. I am going to try and apply this colour more lightly and sheer it out with my finger and see if that makes it more wearable for daytime, because otherwise this can be a bit of a scary colour since it is so bold. My one complaint about this product though is the smell. It has that fake lipstick smell that reminds me of something my grandmother might have worn forty years ago. I think this is kind of a turn off, and I wish they would have added some kind of fragrance to it so it does not smell so bad. This is probably an item that I would not repurchase from Sephora as a result of that.




The Four Nude Shades:

1. Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in the shade "Nylon Nude"
This is one of the shades in the set that I will probably never wear. It is a very brown nude (more brown than it appears in the picture) and does not suit me at all. The formula also seems to be a little drying. The good things about this product though, is that the product is a decent size, and that it doesn't really have a smell. This product was not really a winner for me, but maybe it would look nice on someone with a darker skin tone.




2. Laura Mercier Lip Gloss in the shade "Bare Naked"
This is a pretty nude gloss that I can see myself wearing. It is pretty sheer so I think it would look good on all skin tones, and the product goes on really nicely. It would also be a pretty colour to wear with a more smoky eye since it is so neutral.  The gloss is also not sticky, which I am sure most people would like, however as a result the staying power might not be that great. The one downfall for me is that the gloss has a kind of plastic smell to it, but I think that is something I might be able to get past. This is a product that I can say I can see myself wearing from the set, I don't think I would go out of my way though to purchase a full sized version.




3. Buxom Lipgloss in White Russian
This gloss is a pretty nude pink shade. The gloss is pretty sheer, but it does add a nice hint of colour to your lips. I didn't find this gloss to be that sticky to me, but it still appeared to be pretty long lasting. It has a sweet smell to it, however, if any gets in your mouth it does taste pretty gross. The only thing I didn't really like about this product was that it makes your lips tingle as if there was mint in the ingredients, and within 2 minutes of applying it my lips felt ice cold and stayed that way the whole time I wore the product. It kind of scared me and I thought maybe I was having an allergic reaction to the gloss, but my lips looked normal.  I am not sure if the product contains a plumping ingredient that does this, but I was not a fan. I will probably still use up this sample, but I don't think I would purchase the full sized product of this gloss.
 



4. Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in the shade "Dolce"
This product was a really dark golden brown colour, and is another colour that I would not wear at all. Too be honest it is such a weird shade that I am not even this gloss would look nice on anyone. The product goes on liquidy like the Kat Von D liquid lipstick, however does not dry as quickly or as matte. It was also not as hard to get off as the Kat Von D one, but I still get the impression that it would be very long lasting. This might be an okay product to checkout at Sephora in another shade, but overall I think I prefer the formula of the Kat Von D product to this one. The KVD one also smells better, so to me that makes a difference. 
                                  

The Four Berry Shades:

1. Stila Colour Balm Lipstick in "Sonya"
This is a pretty raspberry shade that appears almost red on the lips. out of all the berry shades it is the most wearable and I can definitely see myself reaching for this product most often. I think it is a colour that would be flattering on many skin tones.  I also really like the formula. Since it is meant to be like a lip balm it goes on really creamy and is not drying at all. I also like that they have a minty scent . This is a brand of lipstick that I would definitely look into trying again. 
 


2. Buxom Lipstick in "Menace"
This is a pretty burgundy colour that I might wear in the evening. I like the formula of the Buxom lipsticks and they go on really creamy. These lipsticks have a shiny finish to them, and do not have a noticeable scent. The formula makes me think that they might not be very long lasting, but I like the way they feel on your lips.  I do not think they would be drying at all. I would consider buying another lipstick from this brand in the future, but probably in a lighter colour. 
 

3. OCC Lip Tar in the shade "Strumpet"
This is a pretty berry shade that I can see myself wearing on an evening where I'm going out and I'm feeling a bold lip, or during the day when I'm feeling adventurous. It is more pink than the other shades,  and I think it is a pretty colour. The lip tars are not scented, and go on very creamy. They do dry to a semi-matte finish, and they are supposed to be very long lasting. I do really like this product though and would suggest that you guys check out their brand because their products are unique.


4. Tarte Glamazon 12 hour lipstick in the shade "Inspired"
This is another product that I really like and can see myself reaching for very often. It is a pretty rosy pink, and is a natural enough shade that I can see myself wearing it during the day. It applies really nicely and has a natural looking matte finish to it. I would definitely re-purchase this shade again as well as try out more of the Tarte lipsticks because they seem really great. The packaging claims that the lipstick will last around 12 hours, and I doubt that this is true, however the formula does seem like it would be long wearing. The only thing that confused me about this product was the packaging. From the outside it looked like it would be a full sized lipstick, so I do not understand why they made the actual lipstick so skinny. I feel like they could have put much more product in there. I like this product though, and I really recommend it if you are in the market for a new lipstick.




The Four Red Shades:

1. Bite High Pigment Pencil in "Pomegranate" 
I really really like this red shade. I wish I had it during Halloween for my Minnie Mouse costume because it is the perfect true red. I like that this product is a pencil because to me it is easier to apply dark colours when using a pencil. It allows you to be more exact in your application. I think red colours can be a little scary to wear, but I think this colour is really flattering. I think this will be a colour that I will be reaching for a lot when going out at night. I definitely recommend this to something who is looking for a good red lipstick.




2. Makeup Forever lipstick in the shade "Rouge"
I like this red shade as well because it is a little more sheer than the other lipsticks. It has a similar "balm" formula to the Stila berry lipstick, and this made it easy to apply. This product also has a shinier finish to it. I like this product and would be interested to try other lipsticks by this brand in the future.



3. Hourglass Opaque Rouge in the shade "Icon"
I like the shade of this lipgloss as it is a pretty dark red, however I do not like dark opaque lipglosses. I find that this gloss is really hard to apply, and there were a lot of places that I had to clean up before I looked remotely presentable. It probably took ten minutes to get the finished product below. For this reason I am not a fan and will probably rarely use this product. It was also really hard to get off, and I had to scrub my lips with a makeup wipe. This is not a product that I would repurchase or recommend to others. 


4. Kat Von D Lipstick in the shade "Foiled Love"
I am not a fan of this lipstick due to the gold shimmer that it has in it. To me it looks a little costumey, and I probably would never wear it. This product has a matte finish, and as a result does not go on very smoothly. This is not a product I would repurchase again. 
 


Let me know in the comments below what you think of this gift set and if you think it is worth the splurge

xoxo Jess


No comments:

Post a Comment